Does everyone get minor cloudy water after water change?

Let's get you sorted out before you move into Aquascaping or get a refresher.

Moderators: Committee, Moderators

Does everyone get minor cloudy water after water change?

Postby hypersushi » 21 Sep 2007, 11:20

Just curious to find out, does everyone get a mild cloudy water water after a water change? Mine clears up in a days time. Just want to know if this ought to be normal (since some bacteria dies while the filter is off for half an hour while tank cleaning is in process)
Kevin Tan
Uncertified Fert Seller
hypersushi
Farmer

Postby ramirezi » 21 Sep 2007, 11:30

I do get that too if I turn off my filter for more than half hour during water change. If I didn't turn off the filter, then I wouldn't get cloudy water.

As advised by MAC members, those are dead beneficial bacteria floating in the water.
Hector
"...like the wicked witch so ugly that she can't stand mirrors, a government that controls the media is a government that doesn't want to see their own reflection"
ramirezi
Filamentous Algae Cultivator

Postby hypersushi » 21 Sep 2007, 12:01

ramirezi wrote:I do get that too if I turn off my filter for more than half hour during water change. If I didn't turn off the filter, then I wouldn't get cloudy water.

As advised by MAC members, those are dead beneficial bacteria floating in the water.

Erm.. not sure HOW you can do a WC without NOT turning off the cannister filter. Leaving it on, the cannister will suck in a lot of air and get airlock especially if you have a surface skimmer. And for me, it is extremely difficult for me to remove the inlet and outlet of the Eheim and put those in a bucket to cycle water.
Kevin Tan
Uncertified Fert Seller
hypersushi
Farmer

Postby medowance » 21 Sep 2007, 12:41

I WC with my filter on as my inlet is quite bottom and does not affect me much. Only is the outlet, spraying on top like water fall........ better know like pissing into the tank during 30% WC.

That way I don't encounter any dead bacteria. :lol:

But after end of 2 months plus when filter felt clogging, I need to clean the filter and add Bacter Balls into it upon refill with RO water. White cloudy water not happening to my tank currently after recent WC. Being using Seachem Prime + Stability + Clarity + Super K after upon refill of water to tank.
Regards,
Jason Ong (Just call me "Med")
My Public Gallery
medowance
Pinthailo

Postby creep » 21 Sep 2007, 13:55

IMO, if your filter is mainly setup for mechanical filtration, then there is a possibility of slight cloudiness. Especially when the filter is not running for more than 1/2 hour.

For me, I focus on biological filtration and have not noticed any cloudiness after WC.
if what i say is wrong... it's not me. it's my evil twin. ;)

Images Through My Viewfinder

steven
creep
Red Panda

Postby ramirezi » 21 Sep 2007, 14:53

hypersushi wrote:Erm.. not sure HOW you can do a WC without NOT turning off the cannister filter. Leaving it on, the cannister will suck in a lot of air and get airlock especially if you have a surface skimmer. And for me, it is extremely difficult for me to remove the inlet and outlet of the Eheim and put those in a bucket to cycle water.

I do WC like how Jason Ong did. Mine is HOB filter with inlet at the bottom and water come out from outlet like waterfall if I didn't turn off filter.
Hector
"...like the wicked witch so ugly that she can't stand mirrors, a government that controls the media is a government that doesn't want to see their own reflection"
ramirezi
Filamentous Algae Cultivator

Postby nano » 22 Sep 2007, 10:46

Interesting.... those bacteria dies when no water running thru it?
michael .... killi newbie... with only one survival
nano
BBA carpetmaker

Postby nasfish » 26 Sep 2007, 20:27

The longest time I let my filter off is around 4-5 hours. That time, I did a major rescape on one of my tank, removed existing holland sand, put in the new soil, planted plants etc, and you should know how long that will take, LOL. Refilled and turn back on the filter. No cloudy.

On the other tank, trimmed hairgrass, do a WC, took me about 2 hours, 1 hour trimming the haigrass and cleaning up, one hour more to do, other trimming/adjusting etc and to refill the tank (I am using pipe water filter by the way), turn back on the filters, I am using two filters, for this tank, by the way. Still no cloudy.

So, I think like Steven said, focus on biological filtration. If after WC, still got cloudy water, that mean, the tank and the filter is still not 'healthy' enough, the conditions are still not to the liking of those beneficial bacteria. Do something about the filtration especially, put more biological filter media, put some bacteria booster, aerate at night etc. The 'new' water also has to be treated with anti-chlorine, as refilling the tank. One thing I noticed if the filter working at its best, with a lot of beneficial bacteria, the chances to get algae problems decreased dramatically.

Regards
restart, hibernate, restart, shut down, restart, stand by, restart..ehh, cannot restart ler..
nasfish
Naster shifu

Postby stanchung » 26 Sep 2007, 20:49

I don't get cloudy water from WC. If the substrate is disturbed- some cloudiness appears but disappears rapidly.

If it's an overhaul then cloudiness does appear. It lasts between one day to two weeks depending on how much was dug up. If it was bad then a sock over a powerhead filter does very well trap fine floating particles.
Stan
1st july/2006 official launch!

Things can happen when you allow your vocation and your avocation to cross-pollinate-Strobist

The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment" William Arthur Ward
stanchung
Nemo on speed

Postby hypersushi » 27 Sep 2007, 08:49

OK ok... I hope the topic of bacteria booster is related to cloudy water so here goes. Nasir, I did PM you about ADA Bacter Ball but didn't get a reply. I basically want to know what exactly is it and how does one apply this product. I am aerating my tank at night, my Eheim 2028 is using the standard filter medias (biological and mechanical) supplied and I put a few sticks of BioHome. Maybe I should remove some Eheim balls and put in more BioHome I am guessing? And dump in a bacter ball into the cannister filter?
Kevin Tan
Uncertified Fert Seller
hypersushi
Farmer

Postby medowance » 27 Sep 2007, 12:15

Bacter ball is recommended to put into the cannister filter during and every WC to help boost cultivate the beneficial bacteria growth in those bio ring. This was taught by YT and DOM when I got de stuff during my algae tank experiment :D

Different of bio filter and mechanical filter :D
Regards,
My Public Gallery
medowance
Pinthailo

Postby stanchung » 27 Sep 2007, 15:09

or you can put the balls near the filter inlet. In your case 3 balls. :D
Stan
1st july/2006 official launch!

Things can happen when you allow your vocation and your avocation to cross-pollinate-Strobist

The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment" William Arthur Ward
stanchung
Nemo on speed

Postby Minichopper » 27 Sep 2007, 16:07

is it each time after WC need to put in the ball in the filter? or after cleaning the filter is a must to put in the ball? :lol:
Hello there
Just call me Redmon
and nice to meet u all
Minichopper
Algaeconnoseiur

Postby medowance » 27 Sep 2007, 16:46

Basic practise, I could say "Yes" :lol:
Regards,
My Public Gallery
medowance
Pinthailo

Postby nasfish » 27 Sep 2007, 19:41

hypersushi wrote:OK ok... I hope the topic of bacteria booster is related to cloudy water so here goes. Nasir, I did PM you about ADA Bacter Ball but didn't get a reply. I basically want to know what exactly is it and how does one apply this product. I am aerating my tank at night, my Eheim 2028 is using the standard filter medias (biological and mechanical) supplied and I put a few sticks of BioHome. Maybe I should remove some Eheim balls and put in more BioHome I am guessing? And dump in a bacter ball into the cannister filter?

Hi Kevin,

Yes, you did PM me, I think, although I am not sure if you asked about ADA Bacter Ball specifically, but I answered half of your PM that day, and unable to continue further due to an urgent matter to attend to, LOL, later forgotten to continue, sorry about that. But I think it is better to discuss it out in the open, so that others can give some input too, don't you think?

When I said, bacteria booster, I would not say Bacter Ball in particular. Long before that 'balls' came into the picture, there are a lot of other bacteria booster, two or more that works wonders too. But people willing to pay for conveniences. :wink:

No matter how well a specific bacteria booster works, you cannot simply throw it into the tank, and hope for the best, IMO. For me, using a bacteria booster, is just to speed up things, and when only the tank conditions are not good or deteriorating, like getting a cloudy water, after cleaning the filter (too clean!, LOL), dead fishes, after major rescaping exercise or after the tank has been treated with medicines...etc etc.

It is more about making the tank the ideal living place for the beneficial bacteria, if the bacteria keep dying, no matter how many 'balls' you throw in, it will be useless and you will be back to the square one.

So, the next logical thing to do is to find out what causes your beneficial bacteria to keep dying or deteriorating. My wild guess will be the water source. Perhaps you have to do a test to find out about the chlorine contents of your water source or even installing some pipe water filter, at least a carbon filter, to remove some of the chlorine and heavy metals from the pipe water before it goes into the tank. If unable to, perhaps you have to aged the water first, see if it helps. If you are using UVs, perhaps turn it on only for a couple of hours daily instead.

In short, make the tank a better living place for the beneficial bacteria, so that you don't need that bacteria booster every time and cloudy water, no more. :wink:

ps : I hope I am not 'logorrhea' again, lol

Regards
restart, hibernate, restart, shut down, restart, stand by, restart..ehh, cannot restart ler..
nasfish
Naster shifu

Next

Return to Newbies Section